There is a lot to do before Sunday, Feb. 5 6:30 p.m. ET when the rematch of Super Bowl XLII kicks offs. Remember, in 2008 the Giants ended New England’s bid for a perfect season with a 17-14 upset victory. Here in Boston we didn’t appreciate that very much.
To prepare for Super Bowl XLVI, there are hundreds of details fans will need to pay attention to: trivia questions to brush up on, decisions on where to watch the game, what to serve if you are hosting a party.
If you have somehow won the party bid and you’ve got people coming over to your house to watch the Patriots win I recommend some no-fuss appetizers that will keep you out of the kitchen and parked in front of the TV with everyone else.
Mini Pizza Appetizers
This isn’t so much a recipe as it is assembly instructions. Here is how to present your guests with a delicious snack that doesn’t taste like it came out of the freezer or a cardboard box and doesn’t require tipping the delivery guy:
1. Purchase a ball or two of frozen pizza dough in your local grocery frozen food section (Whole Foods, City Feed, and Trader Joe’s in my neighborhood all had them. I found the Go Pats! helmet cookies at City Feed).
2. Set the dough out on your counter in a bowl to unthaw. This will take several hours, so plan ahead.
3. Dust a clean surface with flour and roll out your pizza dough. Using a 2-inch circular cookie cutter, cut out your mini pizzas (or use whatever cookie cutter shape you prefer. If you actually own a football shaped cookie cutter, you will be the coolest Super Bowl hostess/host).
(If you look closely, you will see that weak cookie cutting skills are no detriment to success.)
4. Assemble your mini pizzas with your favorite toppings. Use the best ingredients you can find. There are some great organic canned tomato sauces out there and if you have a little bit of extra time, shred your own mozzarella.
Some ideas for toppings:
- Green peppers
- Pepperoni (or vegan pepperoni for your veggie friends)
- Caramelized onions
- Fresh basil
- Crushed pineapple
- Canada bacon
5. Bake in a preheated 375 degree F. oven for about 15 minutes.
6. Consume. Repeat. Cheer. Win.
Related posts: Taza Chocolate Brownies